Posted on: 1 July 2015
It seems like a good idea: Keep your rambunctious pups in the garage so there's no way they can damage things in the house. Maybe you are thinking about leaving them in there when you go to work, or maybe just for a few minutes when you run errands. But either way, there are dangers in the average garage that you'll need to be cautious about.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested anything out of the ordinary, or if your pup is acting lethargic, vomiting, having trouble breathing, or showing other signs of being poisoned, take them immediately to the emergency vet clinic.
Here are just a few of the issues you may find in the garage:
If you normally keep cars in the garage, you may have leaked fluids onto the garage floor. This can be anything from motor oil to antifreeze, but to your dog, these could be delicacies to lick off the cement. Depending on what the fluid is, your pet could get a slightly ill stomach, or it could be at risk of death.
If it's not leaking from your car, you probably have it stored nearby to replenish your vehicle's needs. Motor oil, antifreeze, waxes and polishes -- they all are deadly if ingested. Antifreeze is a particular concern because it is sweet and tastes particularly good to pets, but ingesting even a small amount can cause the liver and kidneys to shut down.
Fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides are all poisonous to dogs, especially in larger quantities. Think your products are okay because they are in sealed containers? Given enough time and energy, it's no problem for a larger dog to chew open a plastic bottle or package.
Hopefully, if your dog gets into paint, it will cause more of a mess than a health hazard, but oil paints and some stains and varnishes will make your dog very sick. Other products often stored with paint, like mineral oil, paint thinner and brush cleaner, can also be poisonous to your pooch.
Anything that you wouldn't want your toddler to get into is also dangerous for your pet. The difference is that your young human is unlikely to be able to chew through a plastic container, while your puppy or young dog definitely can. Some cleaners have a sweet smell or taste that can appeal to dogs.
Some people store extra food or have a pantry in their garages. If this food isn't properly secured, your dog can get into it. Several human foods aren't safe for dogs, including baker's chocolate or items containing chocolate, raisins or grapes, avocados and anything with the sweetener xylitol, which is found in chewing gum and some baking supplies.
More chemicals and dangers to pets can be lurking in the garage, so don't think of it as a place to leave your pet without some serious puppy-proofing. Try a fenced outdoor kennel with a shelter area or look into doggy daycare if you need a secure place for your dog to stay when you're not at home.
If you find your dog in the garage, or any place in your house, showing symptoms of poisoning, don't hesitate to go to your emergency animal hospital immediately. Don't induce vomiting or try home remedies, as some of these can make the situation worse. Get professional help to save your dog's life.Share